How To Help

To contribute to the Ranken Jordan junior golf program or to ask any questions please e-mail me at kcornpga@gmail.com. This blog is not affiliated with Ranken Jordan. The views expressed on this blog are those of the author and not those of Ranken Jordan. Thank you for reading!

Monday, October 19, 2015

Tellin' a Story

"I wanted to tell you how inspiring the Best Practices you wrote was.  It was so refreshing to read an article that wasn't solely based on financial gain.  We currently work with Children's Hospital of Philadelphia in hosting a fundraising event, but I never thought of doing something in that capacity.  I am going to reach out to our contacts on Monday and discuss this possibility."

"Great to hear about you going to the Children's Hospital for golf clinics! It is all about the smiles! Keep up the great work."

"I really appreciate your article and what you do for the kids at the Children's Hospital.  I'd like to do something similar at our local Children's Hospital as this has definitely been on my heart in helping these kids "forget" about current physical situations for a short period of time."

"Just opened my new PGA Magazine and read the article about your program in the back of the magazine.  I am just so impressed, and it's truly heartwarming to read about something so truly giving--made possible through golf.  My younger brother was born with all kinds of health issues (healthy now, thank goodness) so I have this soft spot for sick little kids.  I don't know of a "best practice" or program that's resonated with me more, ever, than yours. Two thumbs way, way up."

Each of the quotes above came from e-mails I received from fellow PGA Professionals following a recent article in the October issue of PGA Magazine (read the article HERE) and a "Best Practices" e-mail blast that the PGA of America sends out on a weekly basis.  To say these words were very moving would be a gross understatement.  The fact that these PGA Professionals would take the time out of their day to send a message was very much appreciated.  This type of feedback was not limited to just PGA Professionals.  A close friend of mine, unknowingly to me, shared the article on her Facebook page telling me after the fact "I knew you wouldn't share it so I just did it.  I wanted to share something great."  That post, which included a link to the article, was shared dozens of times by golfers and non-golfers alike.  The comments from those shares made it obvious that people were moved by the amount of good being done through golf.


Reading the comments and feedback from professional colleagues, friends, acquaintances, and strangers, has been incredible.  It is also one of the results I was hoping we would see from the article and the Best Practice.  When I started the junior golf program at Ranken Jordan in May 2011, I wanted to see a few different things happen.  First and foremost, obviously, was and is to put smiles on the faces of all the kids and help them get better physically and mentally while they are in the hospital and after they go home.  I also wanted to see this program be the impetus that led to the creation of similar programs at other pediatric healing facilities around the country (and world for that matter).  The other thing I have tried to do from the beginning is raise awareness of Ranken Jordan.  With comments coming from across the Midwest and around the country, this has certainly happened.  Ranken Jordan is a unique facility doing miraculous work and it is an honor to be able to share that with other people.


Through everything that has been written about the junior golf program at Ranken Jordan the message has remained the same:  golf is a healing tool.  The stories that were told in the PGA Magazine article and the Best Practice are indicative of the things golf can do to heal someone physically.  Golf also provides mental healing, even though it drives most of us crazy at times!  Watching kids improve physically, mentally, emotionally, and socially through golf has been mind-blowing.  In the past few weeks it has been wonderful to be able to share a small sampling of the way golf can heal with a nationwide audience.  Thank you very much to Sandy Cross from the PGA and Roger Graves from PGA Magazine for making the telling of these stories possible.  As I have said many times in the past, for anyone who wants to learn more and potentially start their own program, please contact me with any questions you may have.  You will quickly arrive at the same realization I did.  Starting a program like this will be the best thing you have done in golf and you will wish you had started it sooner!

No comments:

Post a Comment